May 12, 2008

CHF Challenge Chicks! A Casing Challenge...


This week, the CHF design team were challenged to case one other member. I was the lucky one to case Dawn Lusk. She is an inspiration to me, for her use of MANY techniques and use of colour, mediums, stamps, and ink. She obviously knows what she is doing and takes the time to perfect cards and experiment. No 2 cards look the same. Oh and did I mention all of her projects! This woman is so creative! Look here for her entire gallery at CHF. I chose to try and make a "Dawn-like" card. Mind you, her cards are much more complex, I thought I'd start easy! I am out of my element not using patterned paper. I rely on that which Dawn creates herself with stamps, markers, watercolours, ink, and backgrounders. Amazing! You would think she uses patterned paper, but if you look closer, she does everything herself. I did use this gorgeous card of Dawn's for inspiration.
How to:
Take 3 shades of Distress inks (shabby shutters, peeled paint, tea dye) and apply to the backgrounder. Take cut n' dry foam and apply shabby shutters all around the card for more variance. Trim to 4x5. Take a dark brown ColorBox ink to the edges. On a cream coloured cardstock, stamp quote and ink with foam around edges. Stamp booms. Glue to dark brown cardstock and adhere to card. Place whole piece onto folded cardstock.
CHF Stamps: Weave Backgrounder, Kim Hughes: Silhouette Blooms, Mona Lisa Moments: Friends Centers.
Ink: Ranger Distress Inks, ColorBox
Cardstock: Prism
PS: All the girls are playing this week - just click on the links over to the left. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

oh Lesley...it's beautiful!! you did an outstanding job...

thanks for the glowing remarks..lol, you make me sound good!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful and elegant! And you described DAwn perfectly! Love your design!

Julie Campbell said...

Oooh! Gorgeous card! The colors are perfect!

Alli Miles said...

Lesley, it's gorgeous! And definitely Dawn-esk with a twist of Lesley!!! Perfection.

Lisa Silver said...

WOW! You really captured Dawn perfectly! Great project, chica!

hugs,
lise

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous, Leslie! I love all the shading! (And I thought that background paper WAS patterned paper! It's lovely!)

Valerie said...

Love this gorgeous and sophisticated card!

Kim Mraz said...

whoa...now THIS is stunning!!!

Sherrie said...

Oh wow! You captured Dawn's style really well, this is so beautiful!

Lori Craig said...

Lesley, you did a wonderful job with this challenge. I love the soothing colors and layout of this beauty. Gorgeous!